Saturday, June 11, 2011

Thursdays at Mommom & Bob's


Thursdays are a special day in our house. We get to go visit my grandparents. We have been making these special visits once a week for the past three years or so. It has been so beautiful to watch my children develop a relationship with their great grandparents. They are not your average great grandparents. Both in their nineties and sharp, active, joyful and full of energy. They don't miss a beat and keep up with these wild ones for a good two hours. They are one of my greatest inspirations and I could go on for far too long explaining why but for now I will stick to reporting our weekly visits.

When I was young I remember visiting them as well. Many of the things I remember are the same. There were always interesting paintings and sculptures. Each has a special story, many were collected from their travels around the world.

There has always been a scrabble table set up where my grandmother was ready for a game. These days that table is set up with upwords, one of her new passions.



Then there is the light up globe. Always fascinating. There is also the largest dictionary I have ever seen. (not pictured) It is always left open, ready to inform.


As a child I was enchanted with these crystal candle holders which were my great grandmothers. They have been at the center of the dining room table for as long as I can remember and have been witness to countless birthdays and Thanksgivings and family dinners.


My grandparents have also always have a beautiful piano in their music room. Our little fish girl loves to compose her own compositions for one of her favorite audiences.


After dinner we stay for dessert. My grandfather's love of good, ripe fruit has been passed down to these kids for sure. This week, we were treated to lyche fruits and beautiful, ripe mangoes.






They are expertly cut and dripping down their sticky, joyful faces.


Yum!



Thank you for these special days together. There is a certain magic to watching the love that grows within these visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment